Thursday, May 29, 2014

What's Blooming Inside: A Coincidence of Color

Chronica Domus
Icelandic poppies and ranunculus, held in a nineteenth century leech jar, impart a dash of color to the drawing room
Photo: Chronica Domus


Fresh flowers are a weakness of mine and I attempt whenever possible to brighten the house with at least a grouping or two weekly.  The arrangements need not be large and showy, when simple and understated will do nicely, as seen in an earlier post here. They do, however, need to be as fresh as possible and fit the room in which they are to be displayed.

Two weeks ago, we attended the memorial service of my husband's great aunt who had recently passed away at the grand old age of 91. The family member that had organized the luncheon following the service generously sent me home with the small vase of flowers that had been displayed at our table.  The arrangement was nice enough, but the stars, the Icelandic poppies (Papaver nudicaule), were obscured by the fluff that typically accompanies most run-of-the-mill florist arrangements.  I am sure you are familiar with the stuff; bits of fuzzy greenery, gypsophila, grasses etc.

Chronica Domus
One of a pair of posies made with orange tulips, zesty ranunculus, and green viburnum macrocephalum, graces the dining table during a recent Mothering Sunday luncheon
Photograph: Chronica Domus 


Upon our return home, I plucked the crepe-paper-like poppies from their vase, cut down their wiry fuzzy stems, and placed them in a small 19th century leech jar that I often use for diminutive arrangements.  To the sorbet-colored poppies I added some ranunculus, in complimentary shades of orange and melon, that were already at hand and had formed part of two flagging posies which I had assembled for a recent Mother's Day luncheon in honor of a dear senior neighbor friend.  The end result, I think, is really rather lovely.  Don't you agree? The poppies are clearly and rightfully the stars of the show, just as they should be. I've named this my coincidence of color arrangement.  Not only did my existing ranunculus blend well with the beautiful Icelandic poppies, but when I placed the vase on a table in the drawing room, the effect was instantly magnified by the zesty color of the upholstered side chair.  A coincidence of color indeed, and a lovely way of prolonging our memories of great aunt Alberta with fondness and grace.

12 comments:

  1. this is just so pretty- love the bright color. And I must say it's a vast improvement over leeches!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'll take pretty flowers any day over leeches, although I'm sure when bloodletting was all the rage flowers simply would not do.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful. That is my favorite color palate and they were Mothers Day colors here as well-my daughter made a beautiful painting in those very colors for me as a present. Such lovely summer happy colors, but I adore them all year long

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How wonderful that your daughter is so talented and is able to paint a pretty picture for you in your favorite colors. Which reminds me, I must bring up our easel and paints from the basement and let my own daughter loose on them to see what she'll create. A good project for the summer break. Thanks for the inspiration!

      Delete
  3. Mothering Sunday is not a name one hears much of over here. My mother's birthday and Mothering Sunday fell within days of each other but now neither can be celebrated.

    Bright colors are what I've come to really appreciate. My living room curtains are fuchsia linen, dining room, orange linen and the library curtains are going to be a fresh green – basically your bouquet – linen or polyester (I know, I know).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the term Mothering Sunday; sounds so much nicer than Mother's Day (I think). My husband's birthday also falls within days of Mothering Sunday too, and he lost his own mother many years ago. We never fail to remember her.

      I can just imagine your curtains brightening their rooms with wonderful dazzling color. Bold and beautiful!

      Delete
  4. Hello:

    Like you, we feel that so often the simpler the arrangement of flowers, the more effective they are as is most certainly the case with that which you show here. In Hungary the giving of flowers from the many street stalls is a lovely tradition but, too often, they come complete with all manner of 'fluff'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, how I wish to rid the world of "fluff" (at least the majority of it), which is my primary pet peeve of so many florist arrangements. I'd rather see a few less blooms than have an arrangement artificially puffed out with fluff.

      How nice to hear there are so many street stalls selling flowers in Hungary. There are a few left in San Francisco, in the downtown area, that always put a smile on my face as I walk by and see the bunches begging to be taken home.

      Delete
  5. Pretty flowers often and in many places throughout one's residence is something I too enjoy, and a practice I fulfill frequently, usually one has to say, with orchids here. They are gorgeous but can be a mixed blessing in that they last for more than ten days after regular water changes and pruning, and although that sounds like a strange thing to complain about, one looks for a change. Here at the condo lobby we have flowers delivered three times a week, but the last two deliveries have been rather sub par, (as though they were second hand), so yours truly had them replaced within the hour. The company is better than those we've had in the past, but they do seem to try it on, but their slackness doesn't get past my beadies, (although it eludes the receptionist, who has been reminded that is one of her duties!). They too were prone to fluff abuse, but have been warned!

    Your arrangement is wonderfully simple and fresh - the best recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy to read your eagle eyes are setting such high standards when it comes to the flowers in the condo lobby, especially as you too have noticed the proliferation of fluff creeping in. Oh, I may have to nab your term "fluff abuse". Just love it - thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Please do leave a comment as I enjoy the dialogue with my readership, thank you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...